Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dear Friends,

In America it's Thanksgiving. In Amasya it's just another day (not true, actually--in Amasya it's Teachers' Day, a holiday where you say thank for all that teachers do). Anyway, for my purposes it's just another day. It's kind of weird celebrating a holiday in a country where no one celebrates the holiday because it's hard to be specifically merry and joyful when all around you are just going about their usual business. I think that I felt so much anxiety today about how the day would go that I forgot to stop and give thanks for anything--it's shameful, but true. In the midst of trying so hard to remember what Thanksgiving should feel like (joy? check. unabashed good cheer? check. etc etc etc), I forgot some core aspects of the holiday, like giving thanks. Luckily, I have another two hours to celebrate it on this side of the world, and will mostly likely take advantage of the full day according to Texas time, just so I can get in as much Thanksgiving spirit as possible.

So, what am I thankful for this year? I am thankful for all of the nice people I have met in the last three months who have made my new Turkish life so much easier to live. For example, there are many people who are helping to make our giant Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday a success--I have my eye on using three different ovens Saturday alone! Anyway, Turkey without Turkish friends would be very sad indeed.

I am thankful for old friends in America, particularly those willing to skype and facebook chat at odd hours, or any time at all. Staying in touch with people at home makes it so much easier to live more fully here. Let me explain: it's a lot easier to take things that happen or don't happen with equilibrium when I have a life in America waiting for me.

I'm grateful for my family, especially the 'rents who seem to think I'm great, no matter what I do or how whiny I am on the phone. It's nice to have some kind of fan club, even if it's run by your mom.

I'm grateful for sunny days--we've had a few of those lately in Amasya and it all just makes me so happy. Today really felt like a classic, crisp fall day. Love it!

I'm grateful for all the fresh fruits and vegetables that one can get in Amasya--no joke. Having good produce around always puts a spring in my step. I am especially grateful for recent finds including cilantro AND fresh rosemary. The only thing that would be better is if I found fresh sage for tomorrow's dressing (but we can't have everything, now can we?).

Anyway, I don't usually make these kinds of lists, much less blog about them for my nearest and dearest, but I don't usually spend Thanksgiving in Turkey, so this is obviously a time for atypical occurrences.

So that's all I've got for now. I should go and clean something in preparation for guests tomorrow. Will post soon about the upcoming successes (and failures?) of our gigantic Thanksgiving bash on Saturday.

Thanksgiving to All and to All a Good Night! (I'm just itching for the Christmas season to start)

No comments:

Post a Comment